Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Just passing the time...

What had happened was...I have formed this habit of watching older, sometimes extremely cheesy, movies while working. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason having a movie on, at a low volume, in the background helps me pass the time while I sit at my edit bay cutting a new commercial, working on a graphics package, or creating some new 3D assets for a production.

Of course I love the creative nature of what I do, but what I enjoy the absolute most is shooting the footage. That's where I have the most fun, though probably 60-70% of my time is spent sitting in my "dungeon" working on post production. This where my embarrassing movie habit is exercised. 

Usually I'll tweet what I'm watching, a confession of sorts I suppose. Every once and a while they are too embarrassing to name. I still won't name them here for the same fear of ridicule (I'm looking right at you Ozzy). 

On average they're things like Weird Science, Sixteen Candles, etc. You know...the John Hughes classics. Occasionally, I'll mix in some stand-ups, action, but I really enjoy dialog driven stuff. 

So, all of this being said; post in the comments what you think is one of the most embarrassing movies you enjoy watching regardless of it's perceived "cheese factor". I'll be happy to follow your lead and do the same. Actually I'll give you two for one!

9 comments:

  1. PeeWee's Big Adventure - cheesy or no? A Tim Burton classic IMO.

    Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

    Bachelor Party w/Tom Hanks

    Real Genius w/Val Kilmer

    Days of Thunder - I hate to say it, but I can't turn away if its on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Danny Kaye
    The secret life of Walter Mitty
    The Inspector General
    Hans Christian Anderson
    The Court Jester

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You guys really upped the ante.

    Oz: I have not thought about those Danny Kaye movies in forever! I was personally a big fan of the old Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope movies growing up.

    TMC: I would say that some would consider all of those classics, on some level.

    That's the best part about liking cheesy/off-beat movies, sometimes they're bad but on some level you like them or you wouldn't watch them.

    OK, so you guys ponied up and I'm going to stick to my end of the deal. Here are couple movies I've popped in over the past couple of weeks.

    1: Stakeout (1987 - Richard Dreyfuss, Madeleine Stowe)
    2: The Girl Next Door (2004)
    3: The Last Kiss (2006)

    Sorry to interrupt my own list here, but you will see a theme coming up. The answer is YES, I am big fan...

    4: Gigli (2003 - Jennifer Lopez)
    5: Out of Sight (1998 - Jennifer Lopez)
    6: Serendipity (2001 - Kate Beckinsale)
    7: Pearl Harbor (2001 - Kate Beckinsale)

    As added bonus, I am also a Kevin Smith (director) movie fan. Currently my favorite movie of his is Chasing Amy (1997).

    If you haven't watched them and have some time to kill give them a shot. If you want my input on them I'll elaborate on them.

    So this concludes my ramble, there are some more of course, but we'll maybe throw those on the list later.

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so Serendipity wasn't so bad. John Cusack was in that, right? Sure, its a bit of a chick flick. But I'll offset Cusack's role in that one for his role in Being John Malcovich.

    But Pearl Harbor? Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hold on a second there, compadre! It's time for another "reveal" I suppose; another director I am big fan of is Michael Bay. He has directed the following movies:

    2011 Transformers 3 (filming)
     
    2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
     
    2007 Transformers
     
    2005 The Island

    2003 Bad Boys II
     
    2001 Pearl Harbor
     
    1998 Armageddon
     
    1996 The Rock
     
    1995 Bad Boys
     
    I think Bay shoots some of the best action sequences of any director, and you have to take into account the complexity and the scale of the shoots. Pearl Harbor was a pretty epic movie in terms of authenticity and scale too. I might partially like that movie because my Grandfather was one of the original Navy SEALs (called Frogmen back in the day) at that time. I've probably mentioned that previously, but who knows maybe I write up a blog about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call on Michael Bay & John Hughes- Transformers, Bad Boys 2, Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles are some of my favorites. As far as cheese factor is concerned, Titanic would have to be at the top of my list. At one point, I even owned both soundtracks.

    I must admit I haven't seen any of the films mentioned by TMC or Ozzy. I'll make note and add them to the Netflix Queue...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leo IS dreamy...but I had no idea there were TWO different soundtracks. Never let go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great is it you've deemed a movie cheesey WHILE ITS STILL IN PRODUCTION (T3)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I should clarify; In my reply I was saying that Michael Bay is one of my favorite directors. I just listed the titles of some of the movies he's made because not everyone is a movie nerd like me and might not know what he's done.

    Additional note: I was ticked because they were shooting T3 in Chicago and I didn't hear about it until after. If I had known I would've driven the 5 hours up north to visit the set.

    ReplyDelete